If you suffer from advanced gum disease, tooth loss, or cosmetic imperfections affecting your gums, you need care from a specialist.
Periodontics is a specialized field of dentistry focusing on the health and appearance of the gums and structures that support the teeth.
When should you schedule a visit to Justin M Schlaikjer, DDS, MS Periodontics and Implant Dentistry in St. Louis, MO?
And a Range of Periodontal Issues Including:
- Bad Breath: Also known as halitosis, bad breath may be a symptom of gum disease and may not resolve on its own even with good oral hygiene.
- Bone Loss from Trauma, Gum Disease, or Tooth Loss: When you lose a tooth or when an infection affects the bone tissue, your bone can begin to recede.
- Exposed Roots: Exposed roots related to gum recession can cause pain and sensitivity.
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis, an early form of periodontal disease, can cause swollen, bleeding, or inflamed gums.
- "Gummy" Smiles: If your gum-to-tooth ratio is unbalanced, it can make your teeth look smaller and affect your self-esteem.
- Gum Recession: Receding gums can affect your comfort and the look your smile.
- Impacted Teeth: Impacted teeth, often affecting the wisdom teeth, can damage surrounding tissue and cause infection.
- Infected Gum Pockets: When tartar and plaque build up in deep gum pockets, it can damage your teeth and even the bone tissue.
- Loose Teeth: If treated early on, loose teeth can usually be saved with personalized periodontics procedures.
- Missing Teeth: Missing teeth can be embarrassing and lead to additional dental issues like misalignment, further tooth loss, and bone loss.
- Peri-Implantitis: If you have dental implants, periodontal disease around the implant site can lead to implant failure.
- Periodontal Abscess: Pockets of infection in the gum tissue require specialized care from a periodontist.
- Periodontitis: Advanced periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss, bone loss, or gum recession if left untreated.
- Swelling or Bleeding of the Gums: A dentist can usually treat these early symptoms of periodontal disease but a periodontist can also provide relief.
Highly Rated by His Patients
"Very skilled, very meticulous practitioner with a great, reassuring manner. Helpful, attentive staff. Good outcomes for all 3 procedures he's done for me. Highly recommend." Ben C.
Gum Disease Is Extremely Common
3 Reasons to Visit a Dentist Specializing in Periodontics
While general dentists typically only treat mild or moderate periodontal disease, Dr. Schlaikjer is specially trained to address even the most complex cases right here in our office. In addition to restoring your periodontal health, Dr. Schlaikjer can perform cosmetic dentistry treatments like gum contouring and advanced restorative dentistry procedures like dental implant placement.
Our dental office is equipped with the latest technology to make your treatment faster, more comfortable, and more precise. Wherever possible, we practice laser dentistry, which offers several benefits including no incisions, reduced bleeding, and improved comfort. Using dental lasers, we can perform the innovative LANAP® procedure to remove diseased tissue and restore your periodontal health.
In-Office Surgical Care
Periodontists are specially trained to perform various types of surgical procedures including soft tissue grafting, gum surgery, and dental implant placement. Because periodontists can perform many types of surgery in-office, you don't have to worry about coordinating your treatment with various dentists or other doctors.
We Offer Advanced Periodontal Procedures Including:
Dentists Refer Complex Cases to Specially Trained Periodontists
Many patients have never heard of a periodontist because their general dentists have never referred them to one. Many dentists can perform simple treatments like scaling and root planing (a dental deep cleaning) in-office, but most will refer you to a specialist if you need advanced care.
While many general dentists do not have the training or technology to perform advanced periodontal procedures, our St. Louis office has many unique capabilities available.